So today I spent my time wandering round the junk shops of Horncastle, Lincolnshire, with my family. I find it really relaxing in a way, just trawling through the stuff to see what you can find. Some of the things we stumbled upon today included
- A WWII helmet
- A Met officer’s uniform from the 1940s, complete with truncheon and badge
- RAF officer’s coat
- Rare records
- An old camera that still worked
- The contents of Hogwarts’ potions classroom (see the picture!)
- And much more!
In these sorts of places, it’s really hard not to walk out with a load of what my mother calls “tat”, so without further ado, here are my tips for successful Chic Antiquing…
- Stay focused. Know what you want to find before you go in there and leave behind anything which will simply create clutter in your home.
- That being said, keep an eye out for bargains! My cousin went in looking for LPs for her record player, and when my dad went to help her sort the treasure from the tat, he discovered a rare album which we could sell on for triple the money!
- Keep an eye on the quality. I went in looking for vintage cake stands and had to leave several in the shop because they were chipped or scuffed. Make sure you get something without defects.
- Don’t fear the dust bunny. There are piled upon piles of antiques in these sorts of shops, and some of them might be coated in a thick layer of grime. Take gloves and hand sanitiser, and get stuck in.
- Finally, keep an open mind. I went in with an exact image of what I wanted. Pattern, colours, everything. What I came out with was different, but I’m super happy with it! Keep an eye out in future posts to see what I bought…
Happy treasure hunting! There’s no map and there might be dragons in them there waters, but it will all be worth it.
Hope you’re all ok out there.