so I have spent the last few days at my gdad’s. I visited my Alzheimers grandma in her home, and she spoke her first word to me in five years – bearing in mind that I visit her every month. Our conversation went a little like this:
“Are you alright, grandma?”
And then she drifted again. So that was nice.
I also spent a good few hours being berated by my mother, which has meant that I spent most of today crying and feeling generally shit. Literally everything set me off, and I was in one of those anxiety attacks that’s drawn out over the whole day and I am still feeling the effects now.
Today’s recipe is back to cupcakes, because these are some of my favourites, and I love to make them when I feel shit. So:
110g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
The juice and zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
And an oven preheated to 180C.
- Back we go on the creaming of the butter and sugar! I’m sure you’re all familiar with the process by now. Remember to allow for tasting!
- At this point, add the eggs, vanilla essence and lemon, and give it all a good mix. I like to think that doing the lemon at this stage gives the flavours a chance to infuse.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and stir stir stir!
- Spoon the mix out into 12 cupcake cases, and slide it into the oven for 15 minutes.
- If you really want to go fancy, use this method from the raspberry cupcakes a few weeks ago, but omit the raspberries for lemon and white chocolate!
To make the finishing touches, you will need:
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar
A jar of lemon curd
- To make the meringue, first make sure that there are no impurities in the egg white, before whisking to form soft peaks. Add the sugar a bit at a time until the peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Using a sharp knife, core the cupcakes
and eat the bit you’ve removed.
- Fill the hole with a teaspoon or so of lemon curd, and top with the meringue.
- Put the cupcake tray back under a hot grill until the meringue is browned. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY – you don’t want them to burn! They should look like this:
Now try not to eat them all at once!
Hope everyone’s ok out there.