So I did a bit of last-minute baking before I came back to uni. As I mentioned in my Six Steps to Stability, baking is one of my go-to activities when I’m feeling down, so I made my way into the pantry and tried to decide what to make.
I had intended to make use of my mostly-finished Tia Maria, but then my eyes fell upon bananas which had seen better days, and it clicked.
Banana muffins. But not just any banana muffins. Banana muffins with heaps and heaps of chocolate (because chocolate is also a life saver). And so these “choconana” muffins were born.
They are gorgeous. Seriously I gave one to my friend when he dropped off my birthday presents and he loved it – and he doesn’t like banana! Another person to add to my list of converts to food after trying my recipes!
- 110g butter
- 110g sugar
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 large overripe banana
And an oven preheated to 200C
- Cream together the butter and sugar with the vanilla essence.
- Add the banana in small pieces, then the egg, and mix until combined.
- Reserving 1 tablespoon of flour, sift the rest into the mix, along with the cocoa and baking soda.
- Here is a magic trick to impress your friends and family! Or just make your baking life easier. Remember that spoon of flour? Tip the chocolate chips into a cup and add the flour. Mix until all the chocolate is coated.
- Tip the whole cup into your batter and marvel as the chocolate chips in your finished cakes have not all sunk to the bottom!
- At the point your batter should be gloriously thick and gloopy. Believe me it is very hard not to eat it all! Instead, spoon it into 12 muffin cases: and bake for 12-14 minutes, checking constantly so they don’t burn.
- When a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, take the muffins out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Bonus: when they’re cooled, mix 1 tablespoon of icing sugar with enough Tia Maria to make a thin glaze, and drizzle over the top.
These disappeared in record time!
Hope you’re all ok out there!